Murder She Wrote. . .

I’m sure most of you know that a group of crows is called a murder.

Just wondering?  Does anyone know how many crows it takes to make a murder of crows?

crow

One, is one, two is a couple, and three is a few...but how many is a murder? Without Googling take a guess.  I will tell you at the end of this post.

Every September I pull out the Fall décor only to switch it over to Halloween in Oct.  This year I decided to try something a little different. 

I decorated my mantel with crows.  Thinking that it would work for both.  I may throw in a few more items for Halloween, but won’t change it out entirely. Trying to save me a little work.

IMG_7881

PicMonkey Collage

I started with an old black window that I had modge podged a newspaper banner to last year. Placed a wool pumpkin and crow upon one of my vintage scales. Added a few real and faux branches, a recycled glass bottle, a second crow and pumpkin, a paper chain, a couple of glass balls, and a sunflower garland. Oh, and a large wooden crow.

IMG_7894

I was pretty sure that three would not make a murder.  I have more crows but think that they are packed in my Halloween boxes.

This party animal crow makes me laugh.

IMG_7884

IMG_7885

IMG_7896

I added this dowel tree that has a whimsical crow to the hearth. I placed it in my vintage shopping basket with a couple of giant acorns.

IMG_7889

I have the perfect raven that I bought to go in this birdcage last year.  Oh raven, wherefore art thou?

IMG_7893

I also added this pillow to my green chair.

IMG_7897

What do you think?  Getting closer to a murder?  I thought that a murder would have to consist of at least six crows.

Nope, according to google you only need four. Here’s another bit of trivia.  What is the difference between a raven and a crow?

The name "crow" is used for an entire family of birds, Corvidae, that includes the raven species. To put it simply, all ravens are crows.

Differences in Size

The most noticeable difference between a crow and a raven is size; in most cases, the largest black birds in this genus are known as ravens. Common Ravens are noticeably larger than American Crows

Well at least I got that one right.  I thought that Ravens were just a bigger crow.

IMG_7880

IMG_7886

Hope you enjoyed this course of crowology 101 and that you will forget it. . .NEVERMORE!

Hugs,

Jann

I will be sharing with:

The Style Sisters for Centerpiece Wednesday

The Tablescaper for Seasonal Sunday

Little Red House for Mosaic Monday

Boogieboard Cottage for Masterpiece Monday

A Stroll thru Life for Tabletop Tuesday

Kathe with an e for You're Gonna Love it Tuesday

Debra at Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday & Fall Fun

What About Co. for Show Off Friday

33 comments

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

Jann, I am continuing fall decorating this weekend. I quit Halloween decorating now that my children are too old to trick or treat, and just do fall. We can get snow any time after Halloween! Love your mantel!

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Your mantel looks wonderful and so cool with the crows. I love your paper chain. Great idea!

Dee

NanaDiana said...

Oh- Don't you just love a murder of crows and a quote by Poe (one of my favorite authors/poets)...quoth the raven, Nevermore. I always thought ravens were just big old crows, too. Who knew? Well, obviously someone did- Have a great weekend- xo Diana

Linda said...

Jann, you are positively delightful! I had so much fun reading this - nice photos, enjoyed your decorating, and the education! Fun, funny lady! Big hugs to you!

Shirley Hatfield said...

You are a gal after my own heart...I decorate with crows in the late summer and early fall. I don't know why they appeal to me. I found the booth where you bought your darling owl...but (sigh) they were gone! Oh, well. I went to another booth and bought a fancy crow...hah! Loved your lesson on Corvidae!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I did NOT know that 4 or more were a murder! But we definitely have a murder PLUS here in FL. We have ravens and they can get really noisy. I need to get some things out to decorate now. I sure love your pretty throw pillow! Happy weekend!

Micupoftea said...

What a fun post! I learned the difference between ravens and crows long ago:different sound, different tail feather shape, ravens are much bigger, ravens have feathers ruffled out at their throats, ravens can repeat words (like parrots), different shaped beaks, and ravens tend to appear in pairs while crows tend toward groupings. Love your mantel. HAPPY Sept! :)

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Well I actually GUESSED because I had no idea - it was just randomly lucky because until your post I had never even HEARD of a "murder."

All I know is I have a REAL raven/crow problem and I would murder every single one of them if I could and taxidermy them and send them to you for your neat mantlescape!

I am a big time non-fan of anything but the fake ones.

Barbara F. said...

Things are looking good there, Jann. I never knew a group of crows is called a murder! Learn something new every day. I start with fall and gradually add some jack o'lanterns and a ghost or two. November 1st is turkeys and pilgrims and Halloween goes away. Christmas starts after T-day, never before. xo

Gina said...

Like you, I guessed that 6 were a murder. I guess I was wrong!
I also didn't know they called a group of crows a murder. See? You taught me something today! :)
Your mantel looks wonderful!

Debra@CommonGround said...

well Jann, I'm learning all kinds of important facts over hear. And didn't know about the ravens being the bigger of the two. Don't you love the word "Raven" though, sounds so classical and "booky". Your mantle is lots of fun for Fall AND Halloween. Just like killing two birds with one stone. te he!

Pam said...

Jann, I just love your way of thinking. I'm the same way, always trying to figure out how to make the seasonal decor last through the next holiday...I think with the oh so lovely crows and fall decor,you could go through fall all the way past Thanksgiving by just maybe adding a turkey! How adorable...you have me thinking now about my mantle. xoxoxo's Pam

Heirloom treasures said...

Sometimes I feel like murdering them myself. They go mad scratching the soil out of my pots and scattering everything all over the pavers.:)

The Farmers Daughter said...

What a fun post! I'm wanting to decorate a little for fall myself. Your vignette looks great! You're inspiring me. . . .

Rose L said...

Sometimes I want to murder the murder of crows outside my window early in the morning. Their "singing" is not want I like to awaken to. Oh, and it is Google...goggle is those eye protectors you wear! LOL

Chenille Cottage said...

Now, that's something to crow about, Jann!
What a fun post. I'm always lagging a little behind when the seasons change. Your clever arrangements give me the inspiration I need to start pulling out my Fall pretties.
Thank you for sharing your creative and original ideas, my darling friend!
Blessings to you on the Labor Day weekend!
Carolynn xoxo

FABBY'S LIVING said...

What a great and fabulous mantel Jenn! I love all the great elements you are using for it and I love the black crows and I don't think they murder anyone, lol..The pumpkins are lovely. Thank you for dropping by and for the sweet comments! Enjoy the rest of the weekend.
FABBY

Lynn Wood said...

I have been thinking about adding some crows to my fall decor this year, but I'm going to need more than one or two because now I've got to have a full "murder". You always have a fun fact or two for us! Love that fun pillow and you are really helping me get excited for fall!

Sarah said...

Jann, so enjoyed this post because I have a murder of crows that roost here every fall. ;-) Your mantel will take you right through Halloween. I adore that party crow. Do you remember where you found this one?
~ Sarah

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

love your cute crows! :) I never do much halloween..generally mostly just fall decorating. Hard to get in the mood for that yet, though...Saturday was hot and humid again, and Sunday not much better. I imagine it will cool off nicely as soon as I have to go back to work!

Snap said...

Fun post. Your mantle is great. I will start decorating for Halloween Oct 1. Meanwhile, I'm thinking about cool weather (80s instead 0f 90s!)

Snap said...

Fun post. Your mantle is great. I will start decorating for Halloween Oct 1. Meanwhile, I'm thinking about cool weather (80s instead 0f 90s!)

eileeninmd said...

This is a fun post, I love your decorated mantel. Wonderful and creative ideas for fall time decorations. Thanks for sharing, have a great week!

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

Jann that is too cute! Your sense of creativity is so fun! That crow with the jute topped hat is too cute!
I never heard the term "groups of crows" relating to murder! Thanks for the "crowology 101" !!

Elena said...

That was all very interesting as I really like trivia :) Thank you so much for your sweet comment on my blog and I am so excited that you decided to follow me. Your mantle arrangement looks great! Have a wonderful Labor Day, Elena

A Bit of the Blarney said...

I never fail to be astonished by what I can learn on line. No, I didn't know that a flock of crows is called a murder, but I do now! Grand post! Have a wonderful week! Cathy

The Style Sisters said...

I love this whole idea! I have done an eating crow tablescape awhile ago for Halloween...so fun to use the crows! Thanks for linking up to Centerpiece Wednesday!
Karin

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

How fun, so interesting. Love your vignette. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

JoAnn SweetPepperRose said...

Cute Crow! of course, now I've got to make one or two or three :0
JoAnn
visiting thru All Star Block Party

Cathy and Paul @One Creative Couple said...

Great Fall display - makes me want to decorate!!

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Those friendly Crows and Autumn displays look awesome!

Ivy and Elephants said...

Super cute fall mantle. Makes me want to decorate for the fall. Awesome.

Paula

Nicole said...

Very pretty!

Instagram