CHECK This Out!

Aloha and Maholo!  Since I just returned home from vacation to Kauai I am finding that I am still in a bit of a Hawaiian mode.

What a wonderful time we had and I can’t wait to share some of it with you.

First of all I want to say how much I have missed visiting my blog friends. A lot can happen in a weeks time in the land of blog.

This morning I started the yearly ritual of putting away the Halloween décor and bringing out the Thanksgiving.

I have a few blog friends that decorate in the Farmhouse style.  I adore it and feel that it gives such a down home feel.

I wanted some of that feel in my kitchen.  To me nothing says farm style more than checkered fabric. 

That was the inspiration for my “Farmhome Style” Thanksgiving table decor.

IMG_8416

Look at my darling, Hannah in her black and white checkered dress.  She rests against a farm scale holding a couple of new found vintage Pyrex bowls.

IMG_8416

Love that hat!

IMG_8422

A few kitchen gadgets.

Hannah

No farm kitchen would be complete without a pitcher for cream, some country biscuits, and a handy egg beater.

IMG_8426

And let’s not forget the sifter and tart tins.

IMG_8419

All of my vintage treasures are either thrift, estate sale, or yard sale finds.

The stem on this checkered pumpkin makes it look as though it was plucked fresh from the garden.

IMG_8421

However, I doubt it will make it into a pumpkin pie.

IMG_8428

I added a faux cabbage, a few more tart tins, and a vintage timer.  All tucked in amongst the ruffled burlap.

IMG_8423

Another glance at those checks that us farm girls all love.  I know, I know, I am not really a farm girl.  A gal can dream, can’t she?

IMG_8425

Now I want to share with you one of my favorite things about Kauai.

Roosters and chickens.  They run wild everywhere on the island. I just kept snapping pics of them.  You would have thought that I had never seen a chicken or rooster before. lol!

chickens

Now it doesn’t get any more farm style than that!

There is a legend as to how the chickens got there.  But basically the reason that there are so many is that they don’t have any natural predators to downsize them.  Not even snakes, which surprised me.  I just assumed there would be snakes amongst that tropical paradise.

I’ll leave you with this picture that made me laugh.  It looks as though this rooster is looking at that sign and wondering if he weighs too much. Hee-hee!

DSCN0172

Hugs,

Jann

I will be partying with these fun gals:

Elaine at Sunny Simple Life for Sunny Simple Sunday

Cindy at Old Time Farmhouse for Old Time Party

The Dedicated House for Make it Pretty Monday

Linda at Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday

Marty at A Stroll thru Life for Tabletop Tuesday

Cozy Little House for Tweak it Tuesday

Cowgirl Up

Clever Chicks Blog Hop

Sandi at Rose Chintz Cottage for Home

Dolly  and friends at Hibiscus House for Farmgirl Friday

Thanksgiving Inspirations blog hop

FallBlogHopButton

33 comments

Susie said...

Jann, I love your table vignette. Those chicken photos were good. Bet you truly enjoyed the islands. What an awesome vacation. Welcome back home. Smiles, xo, Susie

Jonell w Harrison said...

How wonderful ..i cannot even imagine such travel. I know you must be thankful. We have a wonderfully blessed life and want for nothing and while travel like this has never been nor will be a possibility for us I am learning to really enjoy the special things within 1-2-3 hour's drive from home. I make a big deal about a day trip like this, take pics and share and encourage others to learn to enjoy things like "a Sr. Citizen's Disney World" And ask God to continue to give me a thankful heart.
I'll look for your photos and stories~

Jonell

mimi_62 said...

Jann:

So glad you are home and that you had such a great time. Love your Thanksgiving table setting.

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

haha, what an adorable post, Jann.

Glad you are back safe and sound and can't wait to hear lots more about your trip - wow, Hawaii, how awesome for you. I would love to go there one day, too!

NanaDiana said...

Hi Jann- I am back from my blogging break and I was wondering where you were- Now I KNOW! Hawaii no less. What wonderful Fall pictures here and I love the poultry pics~ Have a wonderful night- xo Diana

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

Welcome back! That sounds like s great place to vacation! That's interesting about the chickens on the island- I've never heard that before! Your table vignette is very cute! I love the different things you chose to create it! You're right about the checkered fabric- it definitely says farm style !

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Glad you had a great time, you were missed.
That is an adorable setting! Cute biscuit tin and how about that gooseberry pyrex in black!

Gina said...

Such a sweet vignette! I love the checkered fabric. Glad to hear you had a good time in Kauai!

Heirloom treasures said...

Love your farm style vignette Jann.So pleased you had a great holiday.
There is something about chickens that is so nice. I would love some,but my hubby says it's either chickens or holidays. I settled for the holidays.LOL

Jill said...

My eye is on the biscuit tin, so cute!

Stephanie said...

So cute and fun - love it! I am glad you made it back safely...speaking of Kauai brings back memories of my honeymoon with my husband :) Have a great week!

Hugs,
Stephanie

Pollyanna said...

Its funny how a week out of your normal routine feels so much longer ... love the farm stylin and chicken pics, thanks

Debra@CommonGround said...

Oh Jann, I just love that gingham checked pumpkin on the plate stand...adorable!!

Kris said...

I loved that about Kauai too! Glad you had a great time!!
xo Kris

pembrokeshire lass said...

LOve your farmhouse litchen vignette! Sounds like you had a good holiday. My dear if you want to take pictures of chickens when you are on holiday....you just go ahead and do it.... I do like the rooster one BTW! Joan

Chenille Cottage said...

Aloha, Jann with the Hawaiian tan.
What a delight to hear about your trip. Kauai is such a beautiful island. I lived in Hawaii for 5 years and will always have a soft spot in my heart for the islands.
Just look at your darling new decorations for November. They just don't get any cuter! How I love the black & white checks and dolly with the daisy.
I'm so glad you're back home, sweet friend!
Blessings,
Carolynn xoxo

Mrs. Kelley Dibble said...

Sweet treats you shared today from "the farm."

We have enjoyed O'ahu twice since August. Love Hawai'i, and can only imagine how beautiful Kauai is! Welcome home!

Tami Von Zalez said...

Hi Jann - great image of the over-tonage rooster!

thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

Linda W. said...

Welcome back! Can't wait to hear more about your trip.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Welcome back...how wonderful it must have been to be on that beautiful island...

Love your table vignette...so many cute vintage items..you surely captured that farmhouse feel...beautiful!!

Adrienne said...

They are very pretty Chickens! (I'm glad you're back, all safe and sound!)

jenclair said...

Gingham is so comforting, so related to good memories, and such a perfect choice for your vignette!
The chickens are so colorful and the rooster in the last photo seems elegantly cocky. :)

Little Susie Home Maker said...

How fun! i love your Farmhouse style kitchen pictures. Nothing better than vintage kitchen egg beaters!! And you know I love the chickens! Great pictures!!
Blessings,
Susie

Suzy said...

I've fallen in love with farmhouse style too. Your table is a perfect example! I adore the checked fabric and all of the vintage accessories. Thank you so much for linking up to the Better Late Than Never Thanksgiving bloghop!

Old Time Cindy said...

Now that is the way to decorate...with thrift, estate sale, and yard sale finds! Makes it so creative. Thanks for boot scootin' over and joining the Old Time Party!
Farmhouse hugs,
Cindy

The Farmers Daughter said...

Welcome back, Jann! I know you had a wonderful time. Love Hawaii--and Kauai is my fav. Please show us lots of pics.
And, You know I love this vignette--would fit right in with my farmhouse! It's so fun!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love Hawaii, how fun. The pics of the chickens are so fun too. Great tablescape, perfect farmhouse fun. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

Glad to have you back with the party. I am stuck in my ways. Wednesday, Share Your Cup with Jann. Fun farmhouse.

Atta Girl Amy said...

Love the kitchen implements you used on your table, and I loved your photos of the Hawaiian chickens. Made me wistful for my trip there in 2005. We were in Maui, but we saw plenty of chickens, too.

Thank you so much for sharing and for inspiring me.

Atta Girl Amy
www.attagirlsays.com

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Jann,
Glad you enjoyed your trip to Hawaii. I like that little fabric pumpkin and I have a fondness for chickens and roosters. I spent a lot of time on my grandparents' farm and they always ran free in the yard. {The foul, I mean. LOL} Thanks for sharing with my HOME and enjoy the rest of your week.

Blessings,
Sandi

Trish said...

No snakes?! Sounds great to me,lol!
I love chooks and enjoy seeing them scratching in the garden.
That rooster reading the sign is a beautiful bird!
I love your farm style tablesetting too.
Cloth dolls and vintage kitchenalia are some of my favourite things :-)
Have a wonderful day..Trish

HIBISCUS HOUSE said...

Hi Jann,
I love all of your kitchen gadgets. Cute post and I love your display. Yes my friend you are a farmgirl at heart. Thanks for linking up to our:
http://hibiscushouse1.blogspot.com/2012/11/farmgirl-friday-blog-hop-82.html

Kathy Shea Mormino, The Chicken Chick said...

I look forward to the day when I can have pretty tablescapes without tiny hands walking away with the decor!

Thank you for linking up with the Clever Chicks this week; I hope you’ll join us again!

Cheers,
Kathy Shea Mormino
The Chicken Chick
http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

Instagram