Is It Soup Yet?

Hi my friends, there’s nothing quite like a hot bowl of soup to warm the soul on a cold day.

Today I made two of my families favorite soups to take to my churches monthly nightly meeting for women.  Relief Society meeting.

Not only will we warm our souls with hot soup, but we will be making items for humanitarian aid.  Can’t think of a better way to help warm the souls of others.

This soup is a creamy chicken noodle.  I know that it would look much prettier if I had dished it up in a bowl.  But remember, I am taking it out.  Thought about doing it for a picture but then that thought flew away quickly.  Just call me lazy!

IMG_8533

Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup

3 cubes chicken bouillon                                         3 c. chicken stock

2 c. chopped carrots                                                2 c. chopped celery

1 C. chopped onions                                                2 cans cream of chicken soup

1/2 c. milk                                                                   4 Tbs. flour

4. Tbs. butter                                                              2 c. cooked, cubed chicken

4 c. cooked noodles                                                 Salt & Pepper to taste

Heat stock and bouillon together.  Add carrots, celery and onions and simmer until tender.

Add soup and milk.  In separate pan melt butter and add flour to make a roux.  Add to soup base.  Add cooked chicken and noodles and S&P.

I have made homemade noodles for this soup before but for some unknown reason (because I LOVE homemade noodles) I actually like the Country Pasta wide egg noodles the best.

This soup is Broccoli Cheese Soup

IMG_8535

1 Qt. water                                               6 tsp. chicken bouillon

2 lg. potatoes, grated                              1 med. onion, chopped

2 c. chopped  broccoli (I use 3)               

Cook vegetables in water with bouillon just until tender.

1/2 c. butter                                               3/4 c. flour

1 Qt. water

Melt butter, add flour to make a roux  Add 1 Qt. water.  Stir till thickened.  Add to vegetables.  Stir in one 15 oz. jar of Cheez Whiz.

This soup is so creamy.  You would never guess that it had a water base.

Do you ever ask, “Is it soup yet?”  Wonder where that saying first originated.

Hugs,

Jann

I will be sharing with:

Adorned from Above

My Turn (for us) for Freedom Friday

16 comments

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

Both soups look so good, Jann. I'm pinning to make later. I make soup a lot now with just the two of us.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love both of these and tonight I made potato soup with cheddar cheese in it. We ate almost all of it!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

They both look yummy ! Thanks for sharing the recipes. I made chicken and noodles this last weekend as a comfort food, but because I am cutting back on sodium, it was really lacking. :(

NanaDiana said...

Jann- I am coping this over-we love soups. Cheez Whiz?? Gee Whiz! Sounds decadent to me! xo Diana

ps. Did you see my little SweetCheeks on the cover of the local magazine?

Kris said...

Yummy. I am a sick pup. That sounds good to me right now!!!
xo Kris

Chenille Cottage said...

Hi Jann!
On a cold Autumn night your soup sure sounds and looks good. My hubby has been trying to come down with something...Maybe, I should make up a batch of soup for him.
Thanks for sharing, my sweet friend,
Carolynn xoxo

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

MMMMMMMMMMMM both look and sound delish, Jann!

YUMMMMMMM!!!!

mimi_62 said...

Thanks for these two recipes. They look yummy, but yet so easy.

21 Wits said...

Yes! I know what should be on my table today!

Fran said...

Oh, my goodness, those soups look good! It's definitely getting to be soup weather here in Boston, I've been making batches almost weekly (Cream of Broccoli is a mainstay in my soup rotation....never tried putting Cheez Wiz into it but I may have to give it a try). Enjoy your day! :) --Fran

jenclair said...

It finally turned cold here, comparatively speaking, and a great fall soup sounds wonderful!

Cynthia said...

Both soups sound and look great!

Cynthia

poppilinnstudios said...

Hi Jann,
Perfect for this cold weather! Both look delicious. Can't wait to try your recipes. Thanks!
-Lynn

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

OH soup's on....these both look wonderful ! :) And you know...we 'get' it. LOL....don't need 1000 pics to understand a recipe :) I wonder how I ever followed a recipe back in the old days without all that! Though the eye candy is fun when people do it...not necessary at all. What you have here is just perfect, Jann :)

PAINTORDIG.blogspot.com said...

I love soup.I could eat it every day in the winter. This is the same chicken soup recipe I use. I make my own chicken stock and sometimes add small cubed potatoes in mine.

Old Fashioned Gal said...

You just made one pregnant lady super hungry! Mmm! :)
-Denise

Instagram